Pages

Tuesday 7 October 2014

a gel liner revolution?

Benefit They're Real Push-Up Liner, £18.50

I'm sure you've read countless reviews of this eyeliner by now. I admit, I was a little late to the party, but I just couldn't justify the cost until I stumbled across in it Manchester Airport Duty Free. It was in a set with a full sized version of the They're Real Mascara, and it just seemed like such a good deal that I couldn't pass it up. I've read mixed reviews on this, so I thought I'd offer my opinion, just in case anybody isn't yet sure about splashing out on it.





The idea of this is that it's a gel eyeliner in a pen form, with a slanted rubber tip to make application really easy. One thing I noticed pretty much straight away is that this eyeliner does not do well in the heat. I know it's not really relevant in the UK in September but if anybody is reading from a much warmer climate, bear this in mind before buying. I'm not sure what it is, but it seems to melt and ooze out of the tip, which means that a whole load of product is wasted. I tried all sorts to stop it, like keeping it upright and in the fridge, but it didn't seem to help. 



This eyeliner was marketed with the premise that it makes gel eyeliner super easy to apply. I will say that I don't think this is accurate. If you can already apply gel eyeliner with a brush without a problem, then yes, this is almost foolproof. But I just don't think this would make it any easier for anybody who struggles with gel eyeliner.

When you wind it up, the tip dispenses a little bit of eyeliner. When you start to draw the line, it seems like you just dump the eyeliner on your lashline and use the pen to push it around, which isn't really that neat or practical. It's definitely workable, but it can be hard to get a tidy little line. I also find that, when I draw a wing with it, it's messier than when I do it with other types of eyeliner. I like to think I'm pretty good at eyeliner, as I've had years of practice, and even I struggle with this at times.



The eyeliner itself is a nice formula. It's matte black and it doesn't fade or budge that much throughout the day. It's just a shame that the method of application is so tricky: if Benefit released this eyeliner in a pot with a brush, I think it'd do a lot better.

Have you tried this eyeliner? Do you think it's worth the hype?

No comments:

Post a Comment